Fairmont Area ousts Marshall in 3A girls hockey clash, 2-0

ADVANCING — Fairmont Area’s Corene Moeller (12) taps the puck around Marshall’s Marin Pederson (right) during Section 3A quarterfinal hockey playoff action Thursday night at Red Baron Arena in Marshall. (Photo courtesy of Jake Przytarski/Marshall Independent)

MARSHALL — Sweet revenge.

The No. 7-seeded Fairmont Area Cardinals girls hockey team stunned the No. 2-seeded Marshall Tigers, 2-0, during Thursday night’s Section 3A quarterfinal game at Red Baron Arena.

Fairmont Area (8-15-1) advances to play No. 3-seeded Mankato West (11-13) in a sectional semifinal at noon Saturday at All Seasons Arena in Mankato. The Scarlets eliminated No. 6-seeded Windom Area, 6-1, Thursday night.

Alexis Newville staked Fairmont Area to an early lead in the playoff clash, delivering a net-finding shot for a first-period goal at the 10:28 juncture.

Joni Becker then doubled the upset-minded Cardinals’ advantage on the scoreboard to 2-0 by blasting home an unassisted goal at the 15:29 mark of the second frame.

Goaltender Hadley Artz and the Fairmont Area defensive lines took care of the rest, combining to shut out Marshall during a scoreless third period. The quick-reflexed Artz recorded 21 saves to earn her second shutout of the season.

Tigers netminder Emma Klenken also tallied 21 saves as Fairmont Area held a two-shot edge in shots-on-goal.

Fairmont Area head coach Ashley Olson’s lineup avenged a 3-2 double-overtime postseason loss to Marshall during last season’s Section 3A quarterfinals. The Cardinals also earned redemption after losing a 3-0 regular-season game to the Tigers on Dec. 19 and another 3-0 decision on Jan. 16.

Marshall ended its season with a 12-13-1 record.

Boys Hockey

Waseca 4, Fairmont Area 1 — Tylor Nordquist scored a pair of goals, including an empty-netter with 8 seconds left in regulation, and Ben Priebe chipped in one goal and two assists to power the Bluejays to a three-goal regular-season Big South Conference victory over the Cardinals on Thursday night at Martin County Arena.

Waseca capitalized on Fairmont Area’s 5-minute major penalty in the opening 17-minute period. The visiting Bluejays produced two power-play goals during the man-advantage situation that does not end when a goal is scored.

Riley Forshee delivered Waseca’s first goal off a double-delivery from Jack Rolling and Ben Priebe at the 10:08 juncture.

Rolling and Ben Priebe then combined icy forces again just 1:34 deeper into the opening-period power play to double the visiting lineup’s lead to 2-0.

Rolling fed Ben Priebe, who flipped the puck to Nordquist for the net-finding shot.

Ben Priebe then connected with Marcus Priebe to extend the Bluejays’ lead to 3-0 on the scoreboard. Marcus Priebe found Ben Priebe near the doorstep amid a scrum and Ben Priebe delivered the goal 14:14 into the first frame.

Carson Kuhl spoiled Waseca goaltender Ben Diedrich’s bid for a shutout by finding the twine for the only goal of the middle segment. Hudson Artz worked the puck behind the Bluejays’ cage before delivering the pass to Kuhl. Kuhl unleashed a blast from the point that lit the lamp 13:21 into the second period.

Fairmont Area netminder Carsen Musser then turned away all 11 of Waseca’s shots that he faced during the third period to keep the hometown Cardinals within striking distance.

Musser, who recorded a game-best 42 saves, was pulled down the stretch for the extra skater, and Nordquist found the empty net with only seconds to go.

Fairmont Area (4-19) hosts LaCrescent at 2 p.m. Saturday.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today