Blue Earth Area tennis bests USC, 6-1
BLUE EARTH — The Blue Earth Area Buc girls tennis team tuned up for the upcoming Section 2A Team Tournament with a 6-1 nonconference win on Monday against the United South Central Rebels at the Hal Schroeder Courts in Blue Earth.
“We feel confident,” BEA head coach Spencer Monson said. “We’re playing our best tennis of the season right now.”
The Bucs’ four singles players each won in straight sets, setting the tone.
BEA’s Carol Schrader was the first off the courts by beating Eva Hernandez, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 4 singles.
The Bucs’ Grace Hanson used her power game to beat Emma Johnson, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 3 singles, while BEA left-hander Olivia Dutton cruised by Maya Hansen, 6-1, 6-0, in second singles action.
BEA’s Addison Armstrong also powered past her foe Brylee Neubauer, 6-1, 6-0, to cap off the home team’s perfect 4-0 run through the singles matches.
In doubles action, BEA won two of the three matches, including the No. 1 doubles team of Lauren Survis and Ashlyn Klinkner beating Olivia Bungum and Addison Mithun, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4.
BEA’s No. 3 doubles squad of Erin Prescher and Addison Prescher won in straight sets by defeating Claire Schimek and Elise Hanson, 6-1, 6-1.
USC’s lone win came at No. 2 doubles as Ivy O’Rourke and Juliana Clore beat BEA’s Erika Gaydon and McKinley Hanson in the longest match of the afternoon, 6-4, 2-6, (10-7).
The Bucs (6-11) host Marshall at 4:30 p.m. today at Schroeder Courts in Blue Earth.
“We have a lot of young players on our roster who struggled early in the season, but have played better of late,” Monson said. “We’re battling it out for the No. 3 seed. I think St. James and Fairmont will get the top two seeds.”
BEA 6, USC 1
• Addison Armstrong (BEA) def. Brylee Neubauer, 6-1, 6-0.
• Olivia Dutton (BEA) def. Maya Hansen, 6-1, 6-0.
• Grace Hanson (BEA) def. Emma Johnson, 6-3, 6-0.
• Carol Schrader (BEA) def. Eva Hernandez, 6-0, 6-0.
• Lauren Survis-Ashlyn Klinkner (BEA) def. Olivia Bungum-Addison Mithun, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4.
• Ivy O’Rourke-Julian Clore (USC) def. Erika Gaydon-McKinley Hanson, 6-4, 2-6, 10-7.
• Erin Prescher-Addison Prescher (BEA) def. Claire Schimek-Elise Hanson, 6-1, 6-1.