Fairmont singles, BEA doubles players gain 3A semifinals
ST. PETER — Both of Fairmont’s singles players and Blue Earth Area’s pair of doubles entries all qualified for Day 2 of the Section 3A individual girls tennis meet.
Sophomores Claire Nemmers and Briana Joseph, Fairmont’s regular respective Nos. 1 and 2 singles netters, generated back-to-back victories during Day 1 of sectional individual play Friday at the Swanson Tennis Center on the Gustavus Adolphus College campus in St. Peter.
Te’a Armstrong and Arika Howard, Blue Earth Area’s usual No. 1 and No. 3 singles players, respectively, combined forces to garner two victories in the doubles bracket Friday, while Buc teammates McKenna Dutton and Macie Stevermer followed a first-round default with a straight-set quarterfinal triumph to gain the semifinals.
Stevermer and Dutton square off against Ellie Becker and Jaelyn Haler, St. James Area’s normal Nos. 1 and 2 singles players, in one of two Section 3A doubles semifinals at 9 a.m. Wednesday at the Swanson Tennis Center in St. Peter. Armstrong and Arika Howard face Maple River’s Abby Bruegger and Olivia Pfeffer in next week’s other sectional semifinal.
In Section 3A singles semifinal action Wednesday, Joseph takes on Maple River’s Vanessa Barkosky, while Nemmers battles St. James Area’s Luci Kulseth for the right to play for the gold medal and a Class A individual state bid.
Nemmers posted back-to-back 6-1 set wins over United South Central’s Olivia Schwartz to open Friday’s action before eliminating Blue Earth Area’s Marissa Benz in the quarterfinals, 6-1, 6-2. Benz reached the second round with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Pipestone’s Olivia Lapthorn.
Kulseth coasted to a 6-1, 6-0 first-round win over Luverne’s Mela Jarchow before topping River Valley’s Brooklyn Moldan, 6-0, 6-4, in the quarterfinals.
Joseph kicked off Friday with a 6-2, 6-1 decision over Pipestone’s Emma Stahl before needing only 15 games to eliminate Luverne’s Ainslie Robinson in the quarterfinals, 6-0, 6-3.
Barkosky opened Day 1 action with a 6-1, 6-0 triumph over BEA’s Britt Howard before ousting St. James Area’s Mya Hanson in the quarterfinals, 6-1, 6-2.
In doubles action Friday, Armstrong and Arika Howard defeated Fairmont’s Maggy Totzke and Lauren Green in first-round play, 6-1, 6-3, before breezing by USC’s Daylyn Huper and Delaney Weber in the quarterfinals, 6-0, 6-1.
Bruegger and Pfeffer netted a 6-0, 6-4 opening-round win over River Valley’s Deniz Demirturk and Megan Stevens before knocking out Luverne’s Roz Oye and Elise Jarchow in the quarterfinals via back-to-back 6-1 set wins.
Stevermer and Dutton received a first-round bye when a Fairmont doubles player had to withdraw due to illness before the Bucs’ tandem eliminated Pipestone’s MacKenzie Manderscheid and Paige Ahrendt in the quarterfinals, 6-3, 6-1.
Becker and Haler played the minimum dozen games in a straight-set opening shutout over River Valley’s Katherine Schroepfer and Jasmyne Windschitl on Friday before serving back-to-back 6-1 set losses to USC’s Trinity Seedorf and Alyson Swanson in the quarterfinals.
Section 3A Individual
Girls Tennis Meet
Singles — 1st Round
• Vanessa Barkosky (Maple River) def. Britt Howard (Blue Earth Area), 6-1, 6-0.
• Mya Hanson (St. James Area) def. Sarah Mantor (United South Central), 6-3, 6-2.
• Ainslie Robinson (Luverne) def. Kaydince Thoms (River Valley), 6-1, 6-0.
• Briana Joseph (Fairmont) def. Emma Stahl (Pipestone), 6-2, 6-1.
• Luci Kulseth (St. James Area) def. Mela Jarchow (Luverne), 6-1, 6-0.
• Brooklyn Moldan (River Valley) def. Isabella Nelson (Maple River), 6-1, 6-3.
• Marissa Benz (Blue Earth Area) def. Olivia Lapthorn (Pipestone), 6-0, 6-1.
• Claire Nemmers (Fairmont) def. Olivia Schwartz (United South Central), 6-1, 6-1.
• Barkosky (MR) def. Hanson (SJA), 6-1, 6-2.
• Joseph (FMT) def. Robinson (LUV), 6-0, 6-3.
• Kulseth (SJA) def. Moldan (RV), 6-0, 6-4.
• Nemmers (FMT) def. Benz (BEA), 6-1, 6-2.
Doubles — 1st Round
• Ellie Becker-Jaelyn Haler (SJA) def. Katherine Schroepfer-Jasmyne Windschitl (RV), 6-0, 6-0.
• Trinity Seedorf-Alyson Swanson (USC) def. Solveig Tofteland-Lauren VerSteeg (Luverne), 6-3, 6-2.
• MacKenzie Manderscheid-Paige Ahrendt (Pipestone) def. Sophie Christian-Ella Sohre (MR), 6-7, 6-4, 6-4.
• Macie Stevermer-McKenna Dutton (BEA) won by default.
• Abby Bruegger-Olivia Pfeffer (MR) def. Deniz Demirturk-Megan Stevens (River Valley), 6-0, 6-4.
• Roz Oye-Elise Jarchow (Luverne) def. Skylar Mendro-Mataya Douty (Pipestone), 6-0, 6-1.
• Daylyn Huper-Delaney Weber (USC) def. Gabby Trapero-Samantha Tetzloff (SJA), 6-2, 2-6, 6-2.
• Te’a Armstrong-Arika Howard (BEA) def. Maggy Totzke-Lauren Green (FMT), 6-1, 6-3.
• Becker-Haler (SJA) def. Seedorf-Swanson (USC), 6-1, 6-1.
• Stevermer-Dutton (BEA) def. Manderscheid-Ahrendt (PIP), 6-3, 6-1.
• Bruegger-Pfeffer (MR) def. Oye-Jarchow (LUV), 6-1, 6-1.
• Armstrong-Howard (BEA) def. Huper-Weber (USC), 6-0, 6-1.