×

Man freed, charges dropped in 1994 stabbing

NEW YORK (AP) — A New York man has been cleared after more than a quarter-century behind bars for a deadly robbery, with prosecutors acknowledging that witnesses against him — including a 10-year-old boy — weren’t reliable.

Jaythan Kendrick walked out of a Queens courthouse Thursday, free for the first time since his arrest in the November 1994 killing of Josephine Sanchez. The 70-year-old woman was stabbed in the back on the grounds of a public housing complex.

“I’m very, very happy today because I never thought this would happen, although I hoped and wished that it would,” Kendrick, 62, told the court.

“I’ve just known one thing for the last 25 years: I did not commit this crime,” he said. “Nobody really understands what it is to be in prison when you are innocent, and you know you’re innocent, and you’re behind that wall.”

Queens Justice Joseph Zayas apologized to Kendrick for what he called a “monumental” miscarriage of justice.

“It took way, way too long to discover, and you, sir, deserve better than that,” the judge said as he overturned Kendrick’s murder conviction and dismissed the case. “We failed you.”

Kendrick, an Army veteran and former postal carrier who is also known legally as Ernest Kendrick, had been serving a sentence of 25 years to life.

His 1995 conviction rested mainly on the testimony of the 10-year-old — who had looked out at the crime scene from a third-floor window and identified Kendrick as the man he saw running away — and a second witness, a man who said he saw Kendrick running past him with a purse.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today