×

Briefly

Juvenile assaulted at homeless camp

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A juvenile was sexually assaulted recently at a Minneapolis homeless encampment.

The assault happened at one of the encampments in south Minneapolis’ Powderhorn Park neighborhood, Park and Recreation Board spokeswoman Dawn Sommers told the Star Tribune on Saturday.

The people who took the victim to the hospital did not call police, Sommers said. Staff at Abbott Northwestern Hospital called park police early Friday. Park police are investigating but have made no arrests.

Tents started appearing in the park earlier this month. Some people started migrating to the park after they were evicted from a makeshift shelter inside a Minneapolis hotel several blocks away. At least 200 tents were recently pitched there.

FBI investigates noose in firefighter’s locker

BLOOMINGTON (AP) — The FBI is investigating after officials in the Minneapolis suburb of Bloomington said Saturday that a piece of rope resembling a noose was found in a Black firefighter’s locker.

FBI spokesman Kevin Smith told The Associated Press that the investigation is in its initial stages.

The rope was tied into what appears to be a crude noose and was discovered at a Bloomington fire station on June 15, according to a news release Saturday from the city, which asked the FBI to investigate. The discovery was reported to Fire Department leaders eight days later, on Tuesday.

“Acts like this that embody hate, intimidation, and aggression will not be tolerated,” Bloomington Fire Chief Ulie Seal said in the release.

Minnesota bar owner upset by state rules

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The owner of a Minnesota bar that was among four establishments identified by state health officials for contributing to a recent surge in COVID-19 cases among young adults said Saturday he has instituted aggressive measures to keep customers safe.

Steve Wegman is the owner of the 507 in Mankato, south of the Twin Cities. He said he’s invested in masks, gloves and cleaning supplies and taken many other steps to minimize spread of the coronavirus to patrons and employees since Minnesota bars and restaurants reopened at limited capacity this month.

Wegman told the Star Tribune he was frustrated his bar was identified as a COVID-19 hot spot, particularly after his staff had followed guidelines issued by the state.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

COMMENTS