Marshall chills Fairmont Area, 7-1

WING BLAST — Fairmont Area goalie Colby Kuhl stops a right-wing blast by Marshall’s Bryson Whyte (23) during Big South Conference hockey action Thursday night at Martin County Arena in Fairmont. Fairmont Area’s Karson Legred (far left) and Jacob Mitchell attempt to block the shot. (Photo by Alexis Cubit)

FAIRMONT — After one period, the Fairmont Area Cardinals and Marshall Tigers were scoreless. A few Cardinal errors, however, allowed the Tigers to get on the scoreboard and eventually leave Martin County Arena with a 7-1 Big South boys hockey win over the Cardinals and a five-game win streak Thursday night.

“You make mistakes, mental errors and physical mistakes with a good team like that and they’re going to jump on them and make you pay for them,” Cardinals head coach Kris Olson said.

With 12:04 left in the second period, junior forward Mason Plante was able to angle in a goal with an assist from senior defender Noah Versaeval to start the Tigers.

Seven minutes later, Cardinals goalie Colby Kuhl lost his hockey stick and the Tigers took advantage. Forward Jared Antony connected with forward Elliot Holland, who swiped in the open goal for the 2-0 lead.

Tigers forward Joe Archbold then banked in a mid-range shot to cap off a three-goal period.

Marshall continued with the momentum in the third period and added on four more goals, two of which came 25 seconds apart.

Senior defender Garret Hoff provided the Tigers with a goal at the 15:31 mark of the final frame. The Tigers came right back less than 30 seconds later as freshman forward Tristan VanDeVere found senior forward Chase VanDeVere for a score.

The two VanDeVeres traded duties four minutes later when Tristan VanDeVere became the sixth Tiger to score on Chase VanDeVere’s assist to begin running time.

Plante smacked in his second goal of the night with 6:20 left in the contest on an assist from sophomore forward Landon Frost.

Senior forward Tom Havnen prevented the shutout and was able to score with less than five minutes remaining in regulation. Sam Mensing contributed the helper.

Tigers goalie Ryley Serreyn allowed one goal out of 13 shots faced. Kuhl rejected 46 Tigers’ attempts before sophomore Tyson Geerdes came in during the third period. He finished with five saves.

“We definitely worked hard. We just ran out of gas in the tank,” Olson said. “You can tell that when you run out of gas in the tank, then you start making those mistakes and making more of them. We had good goaltending from both Colby and Tyson tonight, but Colby played a heckuva game, too, so that helps.”

Fairmont Area (1-9) plays Dodge County at 7 p.m. today in Kasson. Marshall (7-3) plays Chisago Lakes Area in the Schwan Cup Tournament at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in Blaine.

Fairmont 0-0-1–1

Marshall 0-3-4–7


1st Period

No scoring.

2nd Period

M — Mason Plante (Noah Versaevel), 12:04.

M — Elliot Holland (Jared Antony), 5:44.

M — Joe Archbold (unassisted), 2:55.

3rd Period

M — Garret Hoff (unassisted), 15:31.

M — Chase VanDeVere (Tristan VanDeVere), 15:06.

M — Tristan VanDeVere (Chase VanDeVere), 11:21.

M — Plante (Landon Frost), 6:20.

FA — Tom Havnen (Sam Mensing), 2:39.

Shots on goal: Marshall 20-28-20–68; Fairmont Area 2-2-10–14.

Saves: Colby Kuhl 20-25-11–46; Tyson Geerdes (FA) x-x-5–5; Ryley Serreyn (M) 2-2-9–13.

Penalties: Marshall 1 for 2 minutes; Fairmont Area 1 for 2 minutes.

Power-play chances: Marshall 0-for-1; Fairmont Area 0-for-1.