Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS
 
 
 

Battered ex-football player is improving

June 14, 2014
Associated Press

MANKATO, Minn. (AP) — Former Minnesota State, Mankato football player Isaac Kolstad stood for the first time since being beaten last month.

Kolstad's brother-in-law, Mike Fleming, detailed the critically injured former linebacker's progress on a CaringBridge website, where his family is posting updates, according to the Star Tribune (http://strib.mn/1hU3QH5).

Kolstad also had a piece of bone replaced in his skull Friday morning at the Mayo Clinic Health System. The section of bone was removed during surgery May 13 to allow brain swelling and had been sewn inside his abdominal wall for sterile preservation while the swelling subsided, the website says.

"All went as planned and he is currently recovering," Fleming wrote Friday evening. "He is in a lot of pain, but his care team is working very closely with him to get him comfortable."

Kolstad, 24, suffered a traumatic brain injury in a May 11 fight in downtown Mankato and remained in critical condition Friday night. Former University of Minnesota quarterback Philip Nelson, of Mankato, and Trevor Shelly, of St. Peter, are charged in the case.

Fleming said physical therapists had him standing three times and sitting on the edge of the bed — both with assistance — this last week. He also worked on holding up his head and torso.

Speech therapists placed a speaking valve on Kolstad's trachea, and he's being encouraged to talk, Fleming wrote.

"The return of speech will certainly take time, but if he wanted to say something, he could," Fleming wrote Friday.

Kolstad's second daughter was born June 5 in the same hospital where Kolstad is recovering.

___

Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web