Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Soldiers raid Boko Haram stronghold in Nigeria

November 16, 2013
Associated Press

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — Nigeria's military says it has killed 20 insurgents by raiding a Boko Haram stronghold and staging ground for attacks on villages and motorists.

Army spokesman Lt. Col. Muhammed Dole said one soldier was killed and three were wounded in the shootout late Friday and that the military was perusing Islamic insurgents as they fled into the forests. Dole said soldiers destroyed "scores" of vehicles and 50 motorcycles during the battle in Borno state.

Borno and two other Nigerian states have been under emergency rule for six months because of the insurgency, which has killed thousands in the past four years. Last week the U.S. labeled Boko Haram and splinter group Ansaru as foreign terrorist organizations.

Security forces have secured many cities in the region, but violence continues in the countryside.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web