| || |
What to do in January...
January 7, 2013 - Jennifer Brookens
Let's face it, January is probably the most boring month, or it at least seems that way after all the hub-bub of the December holidays and then it's Happy New Year! And then what? I'd insert crickets chirping here, but it's too cold for them!
For the cold weather enthusiasts, villages of ice fishing houses have spouted up on the area lakes, and snowmobilers buzz about. However, I admit to being one of the 75 percent around here that prefers to stay warm. I could join the New Years Resolutionists at the gym (if I can even find my fob or mp3 player. I admit I've slacked off for awhile now) and fight for a turn on the treadmill or elliptical machines... Or wait two weeks until the gym population drops back to normal.
I admit I'm sounding negative, but January is really kind of the hangover time between the December holidays, with February and March the recovery time into spring. I admit I am not a winter fan, BUT I am willing to find some things to be excited about...
1) The bad news is, the Vikings lost. The good news is the post-football season will be less stressful at my house now. And the Super Bowl always gives me an excuse to make my own type of Super Nachos. (The secret ingredient being my mother's salsa, which everyone agrees is some of the best out there!)
2) Getting taxes done. I know that sounds painful, but usually we get a refund that takes care of us for several months and slays the Christmas debt. This year, one of the vehicles is in payoff range, which will free up some much needed household funds!
3) The NHL lockout is over, so I still might get to catch a Minnesota Wild game in St. Paul! I didn't realize how much I'd gotten into following the Wild the last few years until it wasn't an option.
4) Locally, this weekend we have Icekahana and the Pond Hockey tournament at Gomsrud Park. I may have to don an extra pair of socks, but the characters out there are having fun, and makes for something fun to cover for the paper.
5) It's winter, but not the winter of '09-'10 or '10-'11. Just enough winter to keep the Minnesota natives happy, but keeping my heat bill out of the range where I need to send it in to NASA to tally. I also don't feel like I'm in an episode of Ice Truckers every time I need to hit the road.
6) Crock-pot meals (if I can remember to get all the ingredients). There's something about pot roasts, biscuits and gravy, and chili in the crockpot that bring comfort on a cold winter's evening. Of course my kids turn up their noses at most of it, so I still end up making a pot of mac and cheese alongside. There's always the winner of soup and toasted cheese that brings everyone to the table, too.
7) It's OK for me to dress in my bulky layers. And I love my hat and scarf combo. The boots are pretty comfy too.
8) Get past all the Valentine's displays and you can already find gardening stuff! (Not so great is the bathing suit displays that already are up too).
Well, I didn't get a full Top 10, but that was seven and a half more things about winter that I enjoy that I didn't realize at the beginning of this blog. So bring on January and February... It's the only way to get to spring! (Only 71 days and 11 and a half hours to go!)
No comments posted for this article.
Post a Comment
News, Blogs & Events Web
So I like some of my winter gear!