Man allegedly made threats

FAIRMONT — A 36-year-old Fairmont man is facing a felony charge in Martin County.

Joshua Mills Anderson-Rassett has been charged with making threats of violence, which carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

According to the complaint:

At 7 p.m. Sunday, Fairmont police officers were dispatched to the area of Cedar and Homewood Street on a report of a domestic assault. Dispatch indicated the call came from a deactivated cell phone that is only able to call 911. The GPS on the phone mapped to the approximate location in the 100 block of Cedar Street.

Fairmont officers as well as a Martin County deputy responded to the area. There was no one at the residence, and officers checked every house on Cedar Street, but were unable to locate any problem.

A Fairmont officer listened to the 911 call, which had about 10 minutes of recording. The officer heard a male curse and threaten a female numerous times.

While listening to the recording, the officer believed the male sounded like Anderson-Rassett. The officer knew the Fairmont Police Department has had multiple contacts for domestic-related issues with Anderson-Rassett and his significant other, an adult female. The officer was aware that Anderson-Rassett had previously been convicted of choking and hospitalizing the woman.

The officer knew Anderson-Rassett and the woman live in the 100 block of Linden Avenue, located diagonally less than a block away from where the call was GPS located. The officer was further aware that the Fairmont Police Department had responded to multiple 911 hang-ups at the residence.

Fairmont officers went to the residence. As they approached, the officer could see Anderson-Rassett standing in the upstairs living room looking out the window. The officer knocked on the door and Anderson-Rassett answered. The officer asked if they could speak with him and Anderson-Rassett told him to step in.

The officer asked Anderson-Rassett if he would not mind stepping outside and speaking with another officer, and asked if the woman was home. Anderson-Rassett told the officer she was in the bedroom, and stepped out of the residence to speak with two other officers.

The officer made contact with the woman, who denied anything happened. The officer asked her if she had called 911 from a cell phone, but she told him that she had two cell phones and neither of them worked. The officer explained that a 911 call was recorded of their conversation.

The officer stated they heard the names Anderson-Rassett had called her, and all the threats he made. The woman admitted they had been in an argument, but stated Anderson-Rassett had not hit her.

The officer spoke with another officer who informed him that Anderson-Rassett denied anything had happened.

The officer spoke with Anderson-Rassett in the Martin County Jail. Anderson-Rassett was advised of his rights, and indicated that he understood.

During the interview, Anderson-Rassett stated nothing had happened. He indicated he returned home about 15 minutes before the officers arrived. The officer then played some of the 911 recordings for Anderson-Rassett.

Anderson-Rassett denied it was him in the recording. The officer told Anderson-Rassett that he called the woman by name and referenced her age. The officer asked Anderson-Rassett how old the woman is. Anderson-Rassett responded that she was the age referenced.

Anderson-Rassett then told the officer, “You got everything you’re going to get from me.”

A check on 911 calls revealed that hangup calls were made on a land line from the residence on Nov. 1, 12 and 19, but that both Anderson-Rassett and the woman denied anything happened each time officers responded to the residence.